Re: Shockwave on Linux

Author: Don Calfa
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Shockwave on Linux
Flash is authored with Macromedia Flash
Shockwave is authored with Macromedia Director.
Director and Authorware is authored with Macromedia Director and Authorware.

Director hasn't had a new player in about 4-5 years.
Most of what makes Shockwave different from Flash has been incorporated
into the more recent Flash releases since the flash player is so light
weight.
Flash 7 is more like Shockwave than Flash 5.

The older shockwave files aren't backwards compatible with the newer
flash players unless the original content provider does an upgrade which
is highly unlikely

I wish:

Apple would release a 'certified' Quicktime player/plugin for Linux
Flash become the de-facto standard for streaming media.

Although _we_ can get mplayer to work, all it is is really a hack and
it'll never make it mainstream because of licensing.
Flash and Real are the only alternatives for mainstream multimedia for
Linux at the moment and Flash is pretty consistent.