Re: Help with reformatted hd

Author: ec
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Help with reformatted hd
Yeah, run that on MY system, but this is the wife's
and she wont run/use any FULLY installed system. She
first learned on Knoppix and that is that!

SOOO, I need to get a "poor man's Install' which is
basically a boot from cdrom of a mirrored image of the
iso. That is as close to a 'install' as she will go.
We had 3.6, but I made the mistake of giving her a 3.7
disk. She then got the wild hair to wipe the drive and
put it on there as the only item.

Somehow, I cannot get the boot process to mirror it
onto the hd! You should be able to do:

boot: knoppix26 tohd /dev/hde1

And then when it prints out the colored stuff (about
4th line or so) that says something like accessing
cdrom, it then says something like:

Copying cdrom to hde1, please wait.

But it just skips right on by that and brings it up
with the usual kernal 2.6.9 and runs off the cdrom.

The usual thing is that IF it is mirrored, it is
faster, much so, and the cdrom is free'd up right
after the very first two lines after you hit the enter
at

boot: knoppix fromhd statement.

That allows you to use the burner and etc.

But what I am wondering is why it wont see the hd and
just skips over the command without commet/error/etc.?

Is it something in the setup of the reformatted hd?
Not sure. or what??? It wont write to the logical
partitions... gives errors about writing when you try
to save something even when booted up and running off
the cdrom!!

Makes me think something is messed up in the
format/whatever.

I am running a different machine right now booted up
with the very same iso. md5sums checked out okay and
all.

--- Mark Jarvis <>