Re: CPU overheating -- hangs

+ (text/html)
Author: Donn Shumway
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: CPU overheating -- hangs
On 4/12/05, Simon Chatfield <> wrote:

> It is a Fujitsu N5100, Intel 4 3.2 HT (enabled). MB
> Chipset? not sure.
>
> --- Jared Anderson <>
> wrote:
> > On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 14:32:29 -0700 (PDT), Simon
> > Chatfield pushed these keyboard
> > buttons:

> > >Hi to the group, I've got an issue with linux on my
> > >laptop when it starts doing anything cpu intensive.
> > >get these two messages on my consoles as well as in
> > >/var/log/messages
> > >
> > >Apr 8 13:58:23 localhost kernel: CPU0: Temperature
> > >above threshold
> > >Apr 8 13:58:23 localhost kernel: CPU0: Running in
> > >modulated clock mode
> > >
> > >Shortly after these messages (seconds) the system
> > >hangs. So my question is how do I modify the
> > >temperature threshold to make it lower so it
> > modulates
> > >earlier and hopefully avoiding the hard hang.
> > >
> > >I would really love to do this without re-compiling
> > >the kernel, I'm currently running
> > >
> > >Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.10-1.770_FC2smp #1
> > SMP
> > >Sat Feb 26 21:54:45 EST 2005 i686 i686 i386
> > GNU/Linux
> > >
> > >Thanks for any ideas!
> > >
> > >-Simon
> > >

> > What CPU? What laptop Make / Model / Chipset, Etc.?

How old is it? Do you keep it running for long periods of time?

I have a Fujitsu N3010 that runs most of the time as a desktop replacement.
About 3 months ago, it started shuting down on it's own and I discovered
that the fans had collected a lot of dust and needed to be cleaned out. Once
this was done, it works fine.

FWIW, most of the Fujitsu laptops I am familiar with use an SiS chipset.

--
Donn
"Sarcasm is the safe alternative to expressing anger."