Re: Odd character in directory name

Author: Bill Warner
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Odd character in directory name
The semi-colon is used as a command separator so yes it is trying to
look at registrations as a separate command. Spaces and special
characters have to be dealt with from the command line in one of two
ways. Either use the backslash escape special character such as
\;

or enclose everything in single quotes
';registrations'

the exception for single quotes is the backslash. If you need either
singe quotes or a backslash within your single quoted text you use a
backslash to do it.
'this is a back slashe in a quote \\'
'this quote\'s extra quote is an apostrophe

Hope this helps,
-Bill W
TD-4242
On Fri, 2005-04-15 at 15:05 -0700, Charlie Bullen wrote:
> Hello, Loged in as root, I do a listing of a directory that contains
> several sub directories and get a result like this:
>
> drwx------    5 rweissne rweissne     4096 Apr 12 10:00 ;registrations

> Notice that the directory name starts with the character ;
>
> I then try to enter the directory with:
>
> cd ;registrations
>
> I get the following:
>
> bash: registrations: command not found
>
> What does the ; character do? It seems to me that after the ; the rest
> of the directory name, registrations, is seen as a command.
>
> Any ideas how I can enter this directory
>
> Charlie

Bill Warner <>