Re: OT: Collection Agency

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OT: Collection Agency
On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 22:48 -0700, JD wrote:
> I have a client that is giving all the signs of someone about to cut and
> run without paying for a bunch of work I've done for him.
> Does anyone know of a good collection agency?
> I'd ask on the other lists I'm on, but this guy is on those lists too.

----
1 - write a demand for payment letter - send it via certified mail,
return receipt requested.

or

2 - small claims court - filing is cheap, you will have to hire a
process server to serve the papers - all told, $100

small claims court is next step after certified letter with demand in my
book but if you feel that the demand has been fully pressed to the
client and he still hasn't paid despite promises to do so, then the
small claims court is the way to go. They handle cases worth a fairly
sizable amount of money...I think up to $10,000

My philosophy - is if they don't want to pay me, they shouldn't pay me
and I have never taken anyone to court and have only had one person
refuse to pay me. I didn't let it get to an amount that I felt was a
problem...trust goes only so far and then I have to get progress
payments. Best to let go of angst than to keep reliving it.

Good luck

Craig