Re: AIC7xxx hangs on Fedora Core 2 install

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: AIC7xxx hangs on Fedora Core 2 install
Bill Wesson said:
> Anyone know how to start an install and keep the install from checking
> for SCSI.
>
> I have an embedded SCSI controller on the motherboard and have been able
> to disable the BIOS. But the install still hangs right away on loading
> the driver.
>
> If I start with a noprobe directive -- nothing gets installed
> automatically -- including the network card.
>
> Is there a way to do a no probe on SCSI only?

Here is a forum thread that talks about a hang on aic7xxx with some
pointers to the linux-scsi email list archive. Maybe good info for you
there though maybe not good news:

http://www.webservertalk.com/archive233-2004-8-344683.html

I found lots of other references to similar symptoms clear back to Red Hat
7.0 with everyone talking about needing a new driver or and old driver or
the BIOS at fault.

This is a forum post with the differnt install command line options:

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25826

I did not see a 'noscsi' option but if you do the noprobe option and
manually select the drivers you want, that might work.

There is also an old aic7xxx driver that is still sometimes included with
some distros. The home page for that driver is here:

http://people.redhat.com/dledford/aic7xxx_old.html

If you use the noprobe and specify the aic7xxx_old driver, that might work
for you.

Another data point that may not matter in your case: I have an several
year old Adaptec 2930 SCSI adapter. It has been in four computers now,
over the years, including my current box. I have installed Red Hat 6.2
through Fedora Core 3 in those computers over the years and never had an
issue from the SCSI card. But then, it may be different chip than the one
built into your board. (For what that is worth....)

Good luck!

Alan