Re: quoting pains

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: quoting pains
On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 22:27 -0700, Joseph Sinclair wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
>
> > <<SNIP>>
> >
> >----
> >I see said the blind man - of course I knew this but only considered it
> >in terms of html and to me - the html is the obstruction here and I've
> >been trying to live with it's ugliness only as little as necessary.
> >
> >the &apos / &quot stuff is a curveball...I'm simply trying to recycle
> >the string I used to locate records in sql db and do it again the same
> >way (removing the records not indicated by checkbox - see previous
> >detailed description) - I'm gathering the best way to handle this is to
> >send the 'unexpanded' string and the variable through the POST and
> >rebuild the string again in the target.
> >
> >In my mind, I'm passing variables from php to php but because I need the
> >html interactivity, I have to deal with it's rules.
> >----
> >

> > <<SNIP>>
>
> Actually, properly escaping the quotes in the string sent to HTML causes
> the browser to expand it, and what comes back to the PHP input page
> would be the fully expanded SQL string. For reference, here's a quick
> bit of HTML that will show what the browser page gets if you escape your
> string like I showed:

> <head profile="http://www.w3.org/2000/08/w3c-synd/#">
> <title>Test Page</title>
> </head>
> <input size="240" type="text" name="search_string" value="SELECT * from
> horde_datatree WHERE user_uid = &quot;jennifer&quot; AND (group_uid =
> &apos;horde.shares.kronolith&apos; OR group_uid =
> &apos;horde.shares.nag&apos; OR group_uid = &apos;horde.shares.imp&apos;
> OR group_uid = &apos;horde.shares.turba&apos; OR group_uid =
> &apos;horde.shares.mnemo&apos;)">
>
> Just paste that into a blank .html file, and open directly in your
> browser, and you'll see what I mean.
>
> Keep in mind, PHP doesn't exist to the client. HTML isn't an
> obstruction, it's the client-side part of your system. If you want the
> system to work in a reasonably consistent manner, you need to USE the
> HTML, not just try to avoid it.
>
> P.S. If you actually code it according to W3C guidelines (especially
> using CSS for text styling), XHTML has no ugliness, it's a very clean
> and elegant mechanism for page description. It's only when we follow
> the "Microsoft way" of doing HTML that it becomes ugly.

----
got that - my problem is my 'string' already exists and is built and is
used in the source php file. To use your html example (and thanks for
the effort), I would have to rebuild the string for a second time to
pass it through - I was specifically trying to avoid that. In fact, if I
were to rebuild the string a second time, it would make more sense from
a number of standpoints to send the string and the variable through the
POST into the target php file and rebuild it there.

Craig