Re: Help with wipe

Author: Eric Richardson
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Help with wipe
Ben Weatherall wrote:

>It depends on what you want to do with the drive afterwards and how paranoid you are. If you do NOT want to use the drive again, swirl a Really Big Magnet around both the top and bottom of the drive and then hit it repeatedly with a sledgehammer and/or axe until it is in many pieces, then dispose of properly.

It is a good drive, better than the first drive in the x86 machine.
Originally, I wanted to fix the imac 266 and give it away but I tried to
replace the motherboard but it turns out that didn't fix it as
apparently the Power analog video board is bad. I spent $25 on the board
but don't want to spend another $10 plus S&H for another part.(ebay)

>If you want to use the drive again, the best approach is to be able to read the drive first so that the geometry matches prior to the wipe. This way you are writing patterns over data and not Inter-record gaps (IRGs) or between tracks (ITGs). You might be able to get away with using a magnet here too, but it is risky since it will most likely magnetize parts of the drive :-(

This makes sense so perhaps I should look at the 2.6 kernel that
supports the AFS+ before wipe(ing) the drive. Or just use the drive as
I'm not too paranoid. Thanks.