Problems getting /cdrom1 on /hdd to work

Author: Siri Amrit Kaur
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Problems getting /cdrom1 on /hdd to work
OK, I have very little hair left at this point.

I installed Kanotix 2005-01, which becomes Debian Sid upon installation. Using
the 2.6.10 kernel. I have two cd drives:

/dev/hdc is my cdrw, seen in fstab as "cdrom".

/dev/hdd is my cdrom drive, seen in fstab as "cdrom1". I can't see data discs
or play audio discs with cdrom1, even as root. It does eject, however. This
is the drive that has the audio cable connected to the soundcard, and I want
it to be the drive used by KSCD, XMMS, etc.

If I configure KSCD to use /dev/hdd or /dev/cdrom1, KSCD just shows the drive
as "ejected." For data discs, it shows as empty.

Using "/cdaudio" in KSCD points to my cdrw in /dev/hdc, not /dev/hdd.

XMMS shows empty directories for /cdrom1.

Working with Kano in the Kanotix forum, he suggested I try changing to
supermount. I followed the instructions and now have the lines below in
fstab. It didn't help anything. Since changing to supermount, I lost "users"
in fstab for /cdrom and /cdrom1. I have never seen an fstab that looks like
this:

/cdrom /cdrom supermount fs=auto,dev=/dev/cdrom 0 0
/cdrom1 /cdrom1 supermount fs=auto,dev=/dev/cdrom1 0 0
/dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec,noauto 0 0

-------------------------------------

Output from cdrecord -scanbus:

# cdrecord -scanbus
cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.10-kanotix-8
cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.31
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
scsibus0:
0,0,0 0) *
0,1,0 1) *
0,2,0 2) *
0,3,0 3) *
0,4,0 4) *
0,5,0 5) *
0,6,0 6) 'IOMEGA ' 'ZIP 100 ' 'P.04' Removable Disk
0,7,0 7) *
---------------------------------------

Output from ls -l:

# ls -l /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Mar 19 13:26 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc

# ls -l /dev/cdrom1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Mar 19 13:26 /dev/cdrom1 -> /dev/hdd

# ls -l /dev/cdaudio
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Mar 19 13:26 /dev/cdaudio -> /dev/cdrom

What do I have to do to make /cdrom1 on /hdd useable? And how do I change the
lines in fstab to allow users again?

Thanks for any and all help.

Siri Amrit