Re: How to execute xpdf from within an html menu?

Author: Bryce C
To: PLUG
Subject: Re: How to execute xpdf from within an html menu?
On Wed, 2005-16-03 at 08:46 -0700, Josef Lowder wrote:
> >From the command line I can type: xpdf filename.pdf to view a pdf file.
> Is there a way to execute xpdf from within an html menu?
> For example with a link similar to these two (which don't work ;)):

Technically, no, and you shouldn't. That would be a security
vulnerability. Imagine if a user clicked a link that downloaded a
rootkit and installed it, just from clicking that one link. The role of
choosing what application to open a file with is up to the browser and
whatever plugins it has installed.
That said, you could try specifying the local filesystem URL like:
"file:///usr/bin/xpdf /path/to/filename.pdf" but that probably won't
work either, and again, shouldn't work if it does.

-Bryce