Re: Mapping applicaton?

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Mapping applicaton?
On Saturday 12 March 2005 08:05 pm, Trent Shipley wrote:

> There is a GIS/Mapping tool that works with Postgresql, but that is
> overkill.

It is overkill for this need but creating maps like this is a skill/tool
that is good to have. What tool are you talking about?

> Can you capture an image of the relevant area? (He said realizing what
> he was thinking amounted to a type of manual solution using Gimp.)

The option you suggest is probably improved with this article I found.

http://software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=04/12/14/1622209&from=rss

It describes putting a graphic image map as the background of a OOo Calc
spreadsheet and then placing icons and information in the spreadsheet
cells at the locations on the map. Not a "bad" idea, really, but not the
solution I was hoping for.

MS has MapPoint to do this and I use it years ago. Feed it a list of
addresses and it puts them on the map for you. I hoped for something
similar in Linux.

A thought I just had: How do the wardrivers map all those wifi spots?
Hmm... I'll go research that.

Alan