Issues with nvidia driver suse 9.2

Author: Joshua Bryan
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Issues with nvidia driver suse 9.2
Hey I got the nvidia driver installed using YAST2 online update patch
thing and did not get any errors however I do not have any direct
rendering nor any 3d and it does not display my card right.... Below
is the output from glxgears

Xlib: No protocol specified

glxgears: Error: couldn't open display '(null)'

and I get the same thing with glxinfo | grep nvidia

however when I check the config files for x windows it lists driver as
nvidia and shows that glx is the one being loaded.

I have checked the /etc/X11/XF86config and they /etc/X11/xorg.conf
file and they both look the exact same to me.

I can modprobe nvidia with no errors... but I do not know what else to
try and do here... Please let me know what I can do to get this
working..

If you need any logs and such you will have to let me know where to
find them so that I can attach them.

Thanks in advance...

~wd0mkr

oh yeah bty it is a GeForce 6800 Ultra AGP 8X in case anyone needs to know...