Re: Grub not booting on fresh install of gentoo 2004.3

Author: Jared Anderson
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Grub not booting on fresh install of gentoo 2004.3
Someone Said:
>Ok I could really use some help.... I have never used linux before and I
>installed gentoo from a stage one last night and the first part of today....
>Everything went really well with the installation no evers everything
>working like it was suppose to. Then I get to the part of the install when I
>must create a grub.conf file so that it will boot. This is where I have ran
>into a problem and need some help.
>
>Here is my hardware setup as it pertains to booting,
>
>One WD Raptor 10,000 RPM drive on a Promise 20378 RAID controller.
>
>I had to load the module for the promise controller manually after booting
>from the live cd. however it then works just fine I have created the
>filesystem on it and everything. I compilied support the controller in my
>Kernel so I should not have any issues there.
>
>WD Raptor is /dev/sda
>
>Partitions are as follows,
>
>/dev/sda1 = boot partition ext2fs mounted at /boot 32MB size
>/dev/sda2=swap partition 512MB size
>/dev/sda3=linux root partition. ext3fs Mounted on / Size= all space left.
>
>I created a /boot/grub/grub.conf and tried to build one from scratch... I
>used sd0,0 for my location. This is where I need the help. I have my hard
>drive setup as listed above but cannot figure out what to put in the grub
>file... Can someone tell me based on the information here what my grub file
>should look like? This is the only drive I have and I am not duel booting or
>anything just tired of windows not working and am switching to linux. So
>when I did this and saved the file and installed it to the MBR and rebooted
>the machine it comes to a blank black screen with a blinking cursor.. Not
>grub information at all on the screen...
>
>Please help me and tell what I need to do to fix this! (Let me know if you
>need more information then I have given)
>
>Thanks,
>
>~wd0mkr

I am assuming you have emerged grub, is this correct?
You also need to install Grub after you emerge it:

$ grub
grub> root (hd0,0)          (Specify where your /boot partition resides)
grub> setup (hd0)           (Install GRUB in the MBR)
grub> quit                  (Exit the GRUB shell)

You grub.conf file should look something like this:
default 0
timeout 5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux 2.4.26-r9
root (hd0,0)
kernel /kernel-2.4.26-gentoo-r9 root=/dev/sda3