Re: indentation whitespace tabs -> spaces

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: indentation whitespace tabs -> spaces
On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 22:34 -0700, Joseph Sinclair wrote:
> Most "programmers' editors" have an option to use spaces instead of
> tabs, and to set the number of spaces to use.
> Emacs has commands (look for "tabify" and "untabify" in the online
> help) to replace tabs with spaces, and vice-versa with a single
> keystroke.
>
> Note: Most programmers prefer to use spaces instead of tabs because
> tab sizes vary between machines, programs, and even within a single
> program. As long as a fixed-width font is used, spaces are always the
> same size. This helps a lot when reviewing code written by someone
> else, as it ensures that things line up correctly on the reviewer's
> system.

----
thanks - tabify - that sounds like what I am looking for...I only have
this very very mini emacs book which is what I use to find the keyboard
shortcuts and tabify thingies aren't mentioned. I suppose I'll figure
out how to get online help.

As for tabs vs. spaces...when I'm a lone wolf, tabs seem to suit me
better but I don't question the wisdom they are expressing since they
are obviously extremely experienced coders - something that I definitely
am not.

Craig