Re: Tax software

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Tax software
On Friday 04 March 2005 08:16 pm, Major.Mikey wrote:
> I would like a *nix tax program. Could I please get some
> recomendations? For free or for pay; it doesn't matter.

As far as I know there isn't one, if you mean a stand-alone, run on your
computer, tax application.

Correct that. Just checked freshmeat and two come up. One for 1998
1040EZ and the other is listed as beta. The latter is here:
http://opentaxsolver.sourceforge.net/. Obviously I have not used it.

We used TurboTax online for several years until this year they changed it
to require specific versions of MS Internet Explorer or Netscape. Turns
out you can spoof Netscape and have it work fine. But, by the time I
found the right spoof, my wife already went to http://www.taxact.com/ and
had it done.

Perhaps we are too trusting of online stuff and recent news of private
information leaks from various sources perhaps proves my naivete. But,
running only Linux, online seemed the best option.

BTW, this is last year's slashdot discussion on the subject:
http://ask.slashdot.org/askslashdot/04/04/16/1752241.shtml?tid=103&tid=126&tid=163&tid=98&tid=99
Advice from slashdot can't possibly be any worse than from me! ;^)

Alan