OT: Radio controlled solenoid

Author: Vaughn Treude
To: PLUG-discuss
Subject: OT: Radio controlled solenoid
Hello all:
This is rather OT but I expect there are quite a few electronic hobbyists in
the group. This gentleman called me a little while ago asking about a radio
controlled solenoid. Though I'm not really a hardware guy, I'd probably
attempt it if I wasn't super-busy right now. But on the other hand I find it
hard to believe that an off the shelf version of this device doesn't already
exist. As he told me on the phone he probably just doesn't know the correct
terminology. His message is embedded below. Thanks!
Vaughn

Dear Vaughn

As we discussed by telephone I am attempting to activate a three volt
(although the manufacturer makes the same unit in 6 and I believe 12 volt)
solenoid remotely using a radio signal.

The solenoid is approximately 1.3 inches in length and .4 inches in diameter
and must fit into a small enclosure. Generally, the entire apparatus,
receiver, battery, and switch would hopefully not be much larger than the
solenoid.

I simply cannot locate any such device on the internet and am therefore
looking for someone who might build one for me. If I could find someone, I
would deliver the solenoid to them and they could build the receiver, relay,
battery around the solenoid.

Help.

Dick Carr