Hardware Compatibility Lists - HCLs

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Hardware Compatibility Lists - HCLs
On Monday 28 February 2005 05:18 pm, Craig Brooksby wrote:
> Hey EC: On behalf of all n00bies, let me ask: where's the list? If
> I had a list, I would use it and vote with my dollars!

Linux hardware compatibility lists are all around. Here are a few that I
have found useful. I use them in roughly this order:

Specific software site - If your hardware requires a specific or special
driver, go to the web site of the software that uses it. For example,
want to use gphoto for your digital camera, go to the gphoto web site.
http://gphoto.org/doc/manual/FAQ.html#FAQ-camera-support
How about a scanner? As previously mentioned, go to the SANE web site:
http://www.sane-project.org/sane-supported-devices.html

Specific driver site - Maybe you don't know the program you want to use
yet but you can find the web site for the Linux driver you need. When I
got a Firewire (IEEE 1394) adapter for my digital video camera, I went to
the driver web site, printed the list and took it to the store:
http://www.linux1394.org/hcl.php

Linux Questions HCL - Don't forget to add your own devices and comment on
the ones already there.
http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/index.php

Red Hat HCL - I use Fedora so this list is pretty good, though not always
leading edge.
http://hardware.redhat.com/hcl/?pagename=hcl
Enterprise version here:
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/hwcert/

Mandrake HCL - It's OK
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/fhard.php3

Linux Compatible - I have not yet used this one much but it looks pretty
complete
http://www.linuxcompatible.org/compatibility.html

Google - It is your friend! Search on "linux [product name]" or "[distro]
[product name]" Add more terms to narrow a bit.

And, of course, the plug-discuss LIST! Well, it's not really an HCL but
it usually works!

Alan