Re: MySQL

Author: Kurt Granroth
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: MySQL
On Feb 24, 2005, at 10:04 PM, Michael Sammartano wrote:
>> haven't a clue what XAMPP is - I was pretty certain of the 'LAMP'
>> designation for that exact setup.
>>
> Same as LAMP, must have had a name change at some time....

No, definitely not. XAMPP is a very specific product. It is an Apache
distribution designed to be easy to setup and and integrate the
standard LAMP components. LAMP, on the other hand, stands for
Linux-Apache-MySQL-(Perl|PHP|Python). It is a *generic* term for the
combination of those individual software components.

Craig mentioned the LAMP term because that's a phenomenal way to start
your search for help. That is THE term that is used for the setup that
you are trying to accomplish. Really, try a google search on 'lamp
apache' or similar. Marvel at the thousands upon thousands of hits.

Possibly the best overall site on the topic is ONLamp.com (from
O'Reilly Networks). It is a very full site dedicated to the LAMP
platform. Lots of articles and tutorials.

You might also want to try a search like 'lamp mysql php tutorial'.
Any number of those can help you out.