Re: Ubuntu root login

Author: Fred Wright
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Ubuntu root login
I am assuming here that you are installing Ubuntu on a computer which has
had a previous *nix installed on it. Ubuntu will NOT (by specified design)
install over an existing installation; you have to delete and redefine the
partitions in which you intend to install Ubuntu. During the Ubuntu
Install process, they tell you specifically that the Root User is disabled
and that administrative processes are to be performed as SUDO. The "Live
CD" may also have the same restriction.
Hi gang!

Just got some Ubuntu VD's in the mail and am having permissions problems
with my
existing home dir. I need to login as root and make some changes. I was not
asked for a root password. Anyone take a guess? %-)

R. Whitney
Transcend Development
"Producing the next phase of your internet presence"
http://xend.net
Premium Quality Web Hosting
http://xendhosting.com
rw AT xend.net