Re: PHP MySQL Error.

Author: Patrick Fleming, EA
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: PHP MySQL Error.

todd hewett wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 23, 2005 11:29 PM Craig White wrote:
>
>>undeclared variable is exactly that - you are referring to it as if it
>>had a value assigned and it obviously doesn't.
>

>>very helpful tip - dump your variables to see their values.
>

>>var_dump($variable1,$variable2);exit;
>

>>Craig
>

> Ahhhhhhhh That sounds great.
>
> To (further) reveal ignorance.
>
> Where (semi exactly) would I use that sytax?
>
> In a webpage, from CLI......
>
> Feeling pretty meek.

Insert this after all your variables are supposed to be declared in your
web page.

Also newer versions of PHP complain about unintialized variables, older
versions just kind of ignored that a variable wasn't set. If you have
variables that might or might not have a value when the script is
looking at them set them to blank at the top of the script eg.
$var1 = ""; //Only used sometimes.
$var2 = "Normal contents"; //Regular setting

Current PHP also changed the way certain variables are read so if you
are using an older script you may have to look for variables related to
file uploads and change them to use the newer syntax. All data related
to file uploads is in the superglobal $_FILES

Patrick