ppp-on or pon script in Slackware

Author: Siri Amrit Kaur
To: plug-discuss
Subject: ppp-on or pon script in Slackware
I want my bouncing cow, darn it, so it looks as if I'll have to switch to
Gnome to get it since I can't get it to work in KDE. The problem now is that I
can't find a way to connect to the internet in Gnome. I've tried the modem
lights applet and it has problems with the ppp-on script.

I found the ppp-on script and added the info for telephone number, password,
etc. When I click on modem lights to connect I get the error message "Failed
to execute child process. No such file or directory.

I've never used Gnome, but I used Debian once and liked that I could just type
"pon" and poff" to connect and disconnect. I get the impression there are a
number of files in /etc/ppp that pon needs that may not be there, and maybe
permission issues, too. Is there a way I can do pon and poff in Slackware or
else get the modem lights working?