Re: A Ping Here A Ping There Everywhere a Ping Ping

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: A Ping Here A Ping There Everywhere a Ping Ping
On Sat, 2005-02-19 at 06:36 -0700, G Gambill wrote:
> Got a RH 8.0 box serving (SAMBA) date with two NICs (192.168.xxx.30 and
> 192.168.xxx.31). Eth0 is onboard while eth1 is added.
>
> >From a Win XP box I can ping both NICs (192.168.xxx.30 and 192.168.xxx.31)
> with only the eth0 cable plugged in. 8-(
>
> >From a Win XP box I can NOT ping either NICs (192.168.xxx.30 and
> 192.168.xxx.31) with only the eth1 cable plugged in. 8-(
>
> >From the RH 8 box I can ping the XP box (192.168.xxx.10) with only the eth0
> cable plugged in, but can NOT with only the eth1 cable plugged in. 8-(
>
> Obviously eth1 is not cooperating. But, Why does XP successfully ping the
> eth1 ip address (192.168.xxx.31) with the eth1 cable unplugged?
>
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 both look good per the ifconfig
> command. But then doesn't ifconfig get it's info from ifcfg-ethx?
>
> I am assuming the MAC addr for eth1 is correct (different from eth0 anyway).
> Is there a way to query the actual MAC address?
>
> I do not believe /etc/resolv.conf or /etc/hosts or /etc/sysconfig/network
> play in this game.
>
> Hope someone has some ideas as I have run out.

----
it is generally not recommended to have 2 NIC's in the same machine on
the same network/subnet as you are doing. If your intentions were to
increase the speed to the network by having 2 network cards accessing
the same network, the method to do that is called bonding and generally
there is an info/howto file on this and a module in the kernel to
accomplish.

On RHEL 3 it would be found at...
/usr/share/doc/iputils-20020927/README.bonding

I don't know if bonding was a module in the 8.0 kernels but I would bet
that it was - I believe you want identical brand/model #'s of the NIC's
to make it work thus the motherboard/expansion slot model of 2 NIC's is
likely not a good candidate for bonding.

the hardware addresses must indeed be unique, they are listed in
ifconfig - the first line called HWaddr for each adaptor that is up and
running.

It might be easier if we knew what you were trying to do.

For your testing purposes - it may help to try commands like...

ifdown eth0
ifup eth1

if nothing else, save you the wear and tear on plugging/unplugging ;-)

Craig