Re: Help with moving /home

Author: Jeremy C. Reed
To: PLUG Discuss
Subject: Re: Help with moving /home
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Ric Fischer wrote:

> 1. How can I find out if my /home is in its own partition?

df
mount

> 2. If it isn't in its own partition, how do I make a new partition and
> move /home over there? (I have a lot of hard drive space left, so if
> there's a way to squeeze down the size of existing partition(s) and
> use the reclaimed space, that would be great.)

fdisk (or sfdisk or cfdisk or other partitioning tool) to create new
partition

mkfs to create filesystem on new partition. (Be careful to not mkfs an
existing partition.)

mount new partition (and add to /etc/fstab as /home for later reboots).

Copy all of /home to new mount point. Be sure to preserve all attributes.

mv /home /home.old

unmount new partition and mount as /home

Remove /home.old once you think new /home is fine.

Have fun!

Jeremy C. Reed

                http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/