Re: PPC Linux Vs. OSX :-Was-: YDL 4.0 PPC install problems

Author: David Huerta
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: PPC Linux Vs. OSX :-Was-: YDL 4.0 PPC install problems
The Ximian-looking version of OpenOffice.org/Linux PPC looks halfway
decent, compared to the battleship grey Windows 95 look that is forced
onto OpenOffice.org for OS X, which is a cheap hack, at best. I still
can't import any fonts to the OS X version...

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:24:20 -0700 (MST),
<> wrote:
> Hmmm While I agree with Fink, I must admit. However, OpenOffice and GIMP run
> quite well on my laptop (Actualy they run better then on my PC which has a
> faster processor), but I use the intigrated X11 extentions insted of running
> an X11 desktop... But allways in search of increased speed I will Try Ubunto
> on my laptop and see if it is really faster (I need to redo my system for
> clasic suport so it would be aa good time to try it out as a dule boot )
>
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Ted Gould wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 15:57 -0700, wrote:
> > >Just out of curiosity
> > >I use OS X with my PB, and I like it so much I am willing to pay for an
> > >upgrade or two. However I have heard of people stripping off the OSX that
> > >came with their Mac in favor of PPC Linux. My question is why; what do
> > >YellowDog, or Ubuntu offer that OS X does not? (Basically what am I missing
> > >out on)
> >
> > Well, all the applications that I run work better on Linux. I know that
> > I can run the whole X11 thing under OS X, but that sucks. Things aren't
> > integrated, and just plain work poorly. I still have never got fink
> > working right on an OS X box.
> >
> > If I was going to use Mac OS X, I'd want to use all Mac OS X
> > applications -- and realistically, I don't have the money for that. Mac
> > OS X applications for the functionality of GIMP, Inkscape,
> > OpenOffice.org and Evolution pretty much add up to about $1000 by
> > themselves. That doesn't mention that I get free upgrades.
> >
> > When I was looking for laptops I realized that all the applications that
> > I have were available as source, so I didn't care about processor
> > architectures. I derived a few key requirements, and then started
> > looking. The Apple Powerbook was the cheapest laptop that met my
> > requirements. So, I'm not an Apple fan boy -- but I'm very happy with
> > my Powerbook.
> >
> >               --Ted

.dh