"firewalls" or...

Author: Joe Huber
To: plug-discuss
Subject: "firewalls" or...
...what's enough between me and the big wide world?

I was just at a fine site - www.irs.gov and noticed that they have the olf
1040 PDF set up with document rights so that you can enter your information
and save the form locally. This stuck me as "nifty" (not sure why at the
moment) and I began to type away. This was on an old Windows 2000 boxen
(we'll leave out the discussion as to whether or not that was wise in and of
itself).

In any event after typing 3 characters I froze in my tracks. Back the train
up... close IE, launch it again, surf to irs.gov, pull up 1040 PDF and
there's the 3 characters I entered. Uh-huh. Close IE, launch IE, tools >
internet options > autocomplete > clear forms, visit irs.gov, pull up 1040
PDF... there's my 3 characters. Okay this is disturbing... pull plug out of
wall, stare at box ~30 seconds, boot, lauch IE, surf to irs.gov, pull up
1040 PDF image ... is blank.

There's a laundry list of questions here but I'll go with this. The coxial
cable come in the house, plugs into the "surfboard", a CAT-5 runs to a
Belkin router (does NAT and SPI, no response to ICMP ping, no open gateways,
no virtual servers), from the router a couple CAT-5 cables run to PCs. Is
this enough (if I understand the network guy at work "the world" can't "see
me").

Joe