Re: shell script problem so simple I'm embarassed to ask

Author: der.hans
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: shell script problem so simple I'm embarassed to ask
Am 11. Feb, 2005 schwätzte Craig White so:

> On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 00:43 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 23:44 -0700, der.hans wrote:
>
> > So the problems that were manifest - I have a number of variables passed
> > to my shell script from Webmin - values of which are obtained by adding
> > a line '/bin/env > /tmp/env.txt' in my shell script.
> >
> > The value of LDAPADMIN_USER must be passed from the shell script to the
> > perl script so that it deletes the right mailbox. I have tested each
> > step by declaring the value of LDAPADMIN_USER at the start of each shell
> > script and then comment it out to test it from within Webmin.
> >
> > The biggest problem I have now is returning the value of 'success' to
> > perl based Webmin. If you can tell me how to do that, I would be ever
> > grateful....I am working with 'return 0' but that isn't making Webmin
> > happy.
> ----
> OK - I got this worked out - no return values need to be supplied, the
> execution must be perfect and that's fine.
>
> I should admit that after every successful mailbox delete, I re-create
> it so that it shouldn't fail just because it doesn't exist.
>
> I still can't get variable passed from shell script to perl script.
>
> If I run this perl script - first uncommenting the variable
> USERADMIN_USER it runs fine.
>
> #! /usr/bin/perl -w
>
> #my $USERADMIN_USER='test2';

# Perl keeps environmental variables in the $ENV hash.
my $USERADMIN_USER = $ENV{ 'USERADMIN_USER' };

# Better yet:
# if( $ENV{ 'USERADMIN_USER' } ) {
    # my $USERADMIN_USER = $ENV{ 'USERADMIN_USER' };
# } else {
    # # print "Throw an error\n";
    # # exit 1; # Throw a fit.
# }

# BTW, this is really a good example of something for the devel list ;-).

ciao,

der.hans

> use Cyrus::IMAP::Admin;
>
> $imap = Cyrus::IMAP::Admin->new("localhost")
>     or die "Failed to connect";
> $imap->authenticate("-user" => "cyrus",
>                      "-password" => "PASSWD",
>                      "-mechanism" => "LOGIN")
>     or die "Failed to authenticate";
> $imap->setacl("user.$USERADMIN_USER", "cyrus" => "+c");
> $imap->delete("user.$USERADMIN_USER");
> die $imap->error if $imap->error;

> but if I comment out the assignment of the USERADMIN_USER variable so it
> is passed from calling script, it apparently is never passed...
>
> # cat ldap_useradmin.after
> #!/bin/sh
>
> USERADMIN_ACTION="DELETE_USER"
> USERADMIN_USER="test2"
> #export USERADMIN_USER
>
> if [ "${USERADMIN_ACTION}" = "ADD_USER" ]; then
>     /root/scripts/ldap_useradmin.addabook
> fi

> if [ "${USERADMIN_ACTION}" = "DELETE_USER" ]; then
>     /root/scripts/ldap_useradmin.delmail.pl
> fi

> and this experiment shows the 'export USERADMIN_USER' line commented out
> but the result is the same whether it is or isn't commented...
>
> # ./ldap_useradmin.after
> Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string
> at /root/scripts/ldap_useradmin.delmail.pl line 13.
> Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string
> at /root/scripts/ldap_useradmin.delmail.pl line 14.
> Mailbox does not exist at /root/scripts/ldap_useradmin.delmail.pl line
> 15.
>
> now if I run ldap_useradmin.delmail.pl by itself
>
> # ./ldap_useradmin.delmail.pl
> Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string
> at ./ldap_useradmin.delmail.pl line 13.
> Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string
> at ./ldap_useradmin.delmail.pl line 14.
> Mailbox does not exist at ./ldap_useradmin.delmail.pl line 15.
>
> same results - but if I remove the comment from the line my
>
> #my $USERADMIN_USER='test2';
> and then run it again it is happy.
>
> # ./ldap_useradmin.delmail.pl
> [root@linuxserver scripts]#
>
> and of course, mailbox is deleted
>
> I find it incredibly frustrating to trace the problems - this clearly
> indicates to me that variable USERADMIN_USER doesn't get passed from the
> shell script ldap_useradmin.after to the perl script
> ldap_useradmin.delmail.pl
>
> Lemme see now, I've only put in like 6 hours on these 2 short scripts
> and the other 2 extremely short shell scripts that are working fine.
>
> ARRGH!!!
>
> Craig

#  If you're not learning, you're not living. - der.hans