shell script problem so simple I'm embarassed to ask

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: shell script problem so simple I'm embarassed to ask
I am actually embarrassed but I have spent way too much time on this.

#!/bin/sh

USERADMIN_ACTION="DELETE_USER"
USERADMIN_USER="test2"

echo $USERADMIN_ACTION $USERADMIN_USER

if $USERADMIN_ACTION=ADD_USER; then
    exec '/root/scripts/ldap_useradmin.adduser'
fi

if $USERADMIN_ACTION="DELETE_USER"; then
    exec '/root/scripts/ldap_useradmin.delmail.pl'
fi

and when I run it...

# ./ldap_useradmin.after
DELETE_USER test2
./ldap_useradmin.after: line 8: DELETE_USER=ADD_USER: command not found
./ldap_useradmin.after: line 12: DELETE_USER=DELETE_USER: command not
found

I have tried everything I can but it never evaluates.

You can see that one of the if tests has quotes and the other doesn't,
it doesn't matter.

I have tried

if $(USERADMIN_ACTION)="DELETE_USER"
and
if $(USERADMIN_ACTION=DELETE_USER) #didn't expect this to work

but nothing works.

???

Craig