Re: running fsck manually

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: running fsck manually
On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 07:34 -0700, Miles Beck wrote:
> /dev/ataraid/d0p9 is my /var partition. Doing fsck while the partition is
> mounted brings up a nice big warning that doing it in this manner may really
> hose your file system. Would I be able to boot with the Debian cd and run this
> manually with the partition unmounted?
>
> I also checked dmesg and it showed this:
>
> EXT3-fs warning: mounting fs with errors, running e2fsck is recommended
>
> Was e2fsck what you meant instead of fsck? I did not see a "-y" option for fsck.
>
> Quoting "der.hans" <>:
>
> > I think you want to run:
> >
> > fsck -y /dev/ataraid/d0p9

----
Yes, if the fstype for /var/ is ext2 or ext3, e2fsck is what you should
run. You may need to add -f for ext3 as it forces the check where an
ext3 filesystem is journaled and you may wish to add the -c for bad
block check and lastly, it is possible that e2fsck is just a link to
fsck.

The /var/partition is probably fixable while booted, you would only need
to umount /var first but it would likely be better to do that from
runlevel 1 so the sequence would probably be something like...

init 1
umount /var
e2fsck -fy /dev/ataraid/d0p9
mount /var
init 2 (or whatever your normal runlevel would be)

Craig