Re: Debian Testing

Author: der.hans
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Debian Testing
Am 09. Feb, 2005 schwätzte Jim B so:

> On a server is it a good idea to say once a month or every to weeks to
> do a "apt-get dist-upgrade" or can that cause a world of problems?

Production servers should generally be setup to only get security updates.

Security updates should be run every day. You can setup cron to do an
update and a trial run on upgrade. I thought there was a package to do
that, but I'm not seeing it.

> Also is running testing a good idea on the one hand one would be able
> to have current packages of clamav and postfix for example but can
> running testing lead to an unstable machine?

It's better to run stable if you can.

> I want like everyone else to run the most current well working
> packages for what I am using, not sure to pick unstable or testing and
> is dist-upgrade safe or will it leave you in a lurch with a broken
> system?

You might want to look into debian-volatile and backports for tracking
newer versions of some packages.

http://volatile.debian.net/

http://www.backports.org/

ciao,

der.hans
#  Help Jerry Lewis stamp out M$...oops that's MDA - der.hans