Re: Gimp and opening partitions...Continuing saga

Author: Siri Amrit Kaur
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Gimp and opening partitions...Continuing saga
On Saturday 05 February 2005 11:42 am, ec kindly wrote:
> --- Siri Amrit Kaur <> wrote:
> > I don't know if you've tried this, because I haven't
> > read every
> > message in the thread:
> >
> > Open the KDE Control Center.
> > Click on KDE Components
> > Click on File Associations
> > Click on the various file types, and you will have
> > options for telling
> > KDE what programs/apps to use to open each type.
> >
> > HTH,
> > Siri Amrit
>
> Well, some progress with above. Btw, KControl = kde
> control center.
>
> Now it tries to open, but gives an error.
>
> 'Retrieving data from devices not supported'

OK. Go back into:
KDE Control Center
KDE Components
File Associations

Look under "text" for example.
Click on "HTML" to see what apps, in what preference order, will open
an HTML file. In my system, the first browser is "Konqueror Web
Browser". Click on that, then click "Edit".

Now a popup window appears. Click on the "Application" tab. See what
the Command is.

Using this example, if this was the application giving you trouble and
it works OK in a different User account, go through the same process
in the account that works well, and compare the Commands. Do this for
whatever files/devices you are having trouble opening.

Save any changes, and it might also help to do the following, which I
recommended in another thread today:

In the KDE Control Center
Click on KDE Components
Click on Session Manager
Click the button that says "Start with an empty session"
Save your changes

Then log out and back in.

HTH,
Siri Amrit