Re: The WEP thing

Author: Lee Einer
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: The WEP thing
Done. Pinged Mepisbox. No packets returned. Mepisbox pings Mandrakebox
just fine. Stopping iptables at mepisbox returns message

    Aborting iptables load: unknown ruleset, "inactive."

I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing. It does not get the
ping going, though.

I have connectivity through both computers to the router, and through
the router to the internet. The connection for the Mepis laptop is
wireless- is this at the root of the issue?

Craig White wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 18:39 -0700, Lee Einer wrote:
>

>>Discrepancy noted- HWaddr is populated (probably no problem there) however
>>inet addr: 192.168.0.101 Bcast 192.168.0.255 - each has zero instead
>>of one in third group of digits
>>Mask is 255.255.255.0 as expected
>>

>---
>ok - good - my fault
>---
>

>>Inet addr 192.168.0.100 Bcast 192.168.0.255
>>Same discrepancy as noted on Mepisbox- third group of digits is zero
>>instead of one for both IP and Bcast addresses. Subnet mask is as expected.
>>

>---
>ok - good - my fault
>---
>

>>>If this is correct...
>>>
>>>put into both computers /etc/hosts
>>>192.168.1.100        Mandrakebox #or whatever name you fixed on
>>>192.168.1.101        Mepisbox    #you seem to have settled on this name

>---
>based on above (fixing my faults)...
>put into both computers /etc/hosts
>192.168.0.100        Mandrakebox #or whatever name you fixed on
>192.168.0.101        Mepisbox    #you seem to have settled on this name
>---

>>>Try pinging Mandrakebox from Mepisbox and vice versa
>>>
>>>ping Mandrakebox #or whatever name you fixed on
>>>
>>>ping Mepisbox
>>>
>>>and if that has any errors, it can only be 3 things...
>>>
>>>bad cables...does the 'hub/switch' show 'links' for both computers at
>>>the same time?
>>>
>>>bad hub/switch ? see above - cables known to be good - still no links
>>>
>>>firewall blocking ping...
>>>
>>>/etc/init.d/iptables stop
>>>then try to ping again
>>>
>>>/etc/init.d/iptables start #turns firewall back on
>>>
>>>report back if any of that fails
>>>

>----
>now the next steps ???
>
>Craig