VMware question

Author: AZ Pete
To: plug-discuss
Subject: VMware question
<-- Warning: charset '0' is not supported -->

Hi All,

I have a somewhat theoretical question regarding VMWare and how well it
isolates itself from the rest of the machine.
I'll explain by way of example.

I have a Windows XP box which is one of my main use machines. We sometimes
have friends and relatives over and they like to use this machine to surf
and play games,etc. Due to the fact the my nephew likes to run P2P apps
(Kaza and the like), there's a very high likely hood that this machine will
get infected with viruses, spyware, etc.

If I load VMWare and create a separate XP session for my newphew to play
around in, will this prevent the "main" XP installation from becoming
infected should he download some nasties within his VM session.

If this is the case, one could simply create a separate VM session for each
person that would use the machine and never have to worry about the main OS
session being affected. Is this how it works or am I oversimplifying?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Peter