Re: The WEP thing

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: The WEP thing
On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 19:38 -0700, Lee Einer wrote:
> Thanks, Craig-
>
> You have profoundly overestimated my computer literacy.

---
no you need to play with it
---

> Additionally, I don't have a manual entry for "exports," at least, not
> on my Mandrake box. I did dink around with the box a bit, and now the
> output of # cat /etc/exports is /home/lee Mepisbox(ro). I don't know if
> that is a good thing or a bad thing. It looks like it permits read only
> access to /home/lee by something named Mepisbox ( I named my laptop
> Mepisbox.) RO access should be fine, I don't want my laptop to be
> writing to my PC home directory at this time. I just want to be able to
> back up my PC home directory to my laptop prior to doing things (like
> reinstalls or distro changes) which would otherwise put me at risk for
> permanent loss of my files.
>
> From here I am lost. Maybe I got lost prior to this, I don't know. I
> get that my PC is my server, my laptop is my client, but I don't
> understand the significance of
>
> linuxserver.azapple.com:/home /home/linuxserver

----
OK if on your Mandrake box...

cat /etc/exports
/home/lee Mepisbox(ro)

#should be OK but how is your Mandrake box gonna know who/what Mepisbox
is? I use dns so that would resolve.

so your gonna have to get the ip address of your Mepisbox
on the Mepisbox, type 'ifconfig' note the ip address
add that to /etc/hosts on your Mandrake computer
i.e.
192.168.1.5    Mepisbox.mydomain.com  Mepisbox #or simply Mepisbox

doing the 'vice-versa' is good too...
on your Mandrake box get the ip address and add it to /etc/hosts on your
Mepisbox
i.e.
192.168.1.10 Mandrakeboxname

If you are using dhcp in your home - this all is subject to change at
poweroff... ;-)

Anyway, you probably have to start nfs service - don't know how on
Mandrake but likely /etc/init.d/nfs start will work

also - if you have firewall, you will have to open some ports (port 2049
I think and possibly port 111)

Then on your Mepisbox you can simply type...

mkdir /home/mandrake
mount -t nfs Mandrakeboxname:/home/lee /home/mandrake

and when that all works, you can 'umount /home/mandrake' to unmount
and ultimately (for repetitive use) add it to /etc/fstab...
single line
Mandrakeboxname:/home/lee /home/mandrake nfs user 0 0

Craig