Re: vi cheat sheet

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: vi cheat sheet
On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 17:48 -0700, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> On Feb 1, 2005, at 2:37 PM, Bill Warner wrote:
> > The vim tutorial is probably the best way I've seen to learn vi. It is
> > a plain text file that you edit in vi and just do what it says. It'll
> > teach you how to do all the basics by actually doing them to the
> > directions.
> >
> > I found a copy here
> > http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/courseware/cse1402/PRACS/WEEK_3/vi-
> > tutorial.txt
> >
> > Just save it to disk and then vi it.
>
> I totally forgot about those! That's a fantastic idea and, in fact,
> it's how I learned vi in the first place.
>
> I remember my first experience with vi. I had just started college and
> went to check my email for the first time (I was assured that email was
> just like the messages on the BBSes I frequented). The MUA was 'elm',
> which was easy enough to figure out. But then I went to write my first
> message. The screen cleared and then was replace with a row of tilde's
> down the left side. I waited for a bit since *obviously* something
> else was going to happen. When nothing did, I figured that I had done
> something wrong and wanted to exit. I hit Esc. Ctrl-C. Ctrl-Q.
> Nothing. I then started typing random keys and somehow it started
> typing text (must have hit 'a' or 'i', I know now)... but then I
> couldn't figure out how to finish. I had my message, but how do I
> quit? I was too proud to ask anybody so I did the only thing I could.
>
> I turned OFF the computer (a huge no-no) and quickly scurried out of
> the lab with my tail between my legs! :-)
>
> Ah, those were the days...

----
I remember something like lined on a PDP system and of course there was
the infamous edlin on early DOS. vi reminds me of those editors

I gave my cheat sheet a week or 2 ago...
cursors work
'i' to enter 'insert' mode
make changes
'esc' key to enter 'command' mode
':wq' write changes and quit
':q!' abort changes and quit

seems like that's all anyone needs to know - oh maybe one more thing...

echo "alias vi='emacs\n' >> ~/bash_profile && source ~/.bash_profile

;-)

Craig