Re: distro requirements

Author: Bryan.ONeal@asu.edu
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: distro requirements
RAID arays can be a source of trouble depending on the card and distro, but
even if that is not an issue, your newbie insatller may not even understand
Raid enough to ask the question requierd to find out which raid level the user
should use. Their is a huge difrance between levels and traid offs for
each. I still think this sort of this should be left to a more experanced
person... IMHO...

<Snip>
> Even if we can't do a Gentoo install or hardware RAID. We can still
> be of service by pointing them to the issues they will face and maybe
> some places online to look for help.

----
Hardware raid should simply appear as a single SCSI hard drive. It
shouldn't be a problem at all UNLESS - the raid controller isn't
supported by kernel modules which might require a driver disk - which
would place it in the category of more challenging to be sure.

I would suspect that many times these old servers with hardware RAID are
probably being considered for migration from WinNT to Linux and a debian
'stable' or RHEL 3 clone distribution would likely have the modules
necessary to make it work. Having done this several times with Dell and
Micron servers, I know they can present challenges and I'm seeing that
the 2.6 kernel drivers are not always including support for the older
SCSI controllers and ISA stuff.
<End Snip>