Re: Installfest Forms

Author: Bart Garst
To: PLUG Discuss
Subject: Re: Installfest Forms
On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 14:53, Ric Fischer wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 07:30:43 -0700, Bart Garst <> wrote:
> > I see that there's a downloads section on the PLUG web site. Is it possible
> > for my installfest forms to be uploaded there?
> >
> > It would be nice to have them on the site since I may miss the requests for
> > their location (like I almost did this time).
> >
> > Could someone either upload them, or tell me how?
> >
> > http://members.cox.net/bartgarst/waiver.html
> > http://members.cox.net/bartgarst/waiver.sxw
> > http://members.cox.net/bartgarst/menu.html
> > http://members.cox.net/bartgarst/menu.sxw
>
> Folks,
>
> I need some guidance.
>
> First, the waiver form Bart provided is, I believe, a bit outdated
> compared to modern "legal protection" forms. It is copyright 1998,
> which leads me to believe the language is from that era. On behalf of
> the group, I'm not sure I feel comfortable with using it as a form to
> indemnify the club.
>
> I would feel more comfortable with a form like the one I mentioned yesterday:
>
> http://snipurl.com/InstallFestRelease

The waiver at this link is the same one I used. I think we reworded it a
little though.

I would sign the release at this link if I were bringing a machine to an
install fest.

> Second, Bart also provided a link to a Menu page. It looks more
> appropriate for an intermediate-to-advanced Linux user. Unfortunately,
> it mentions software choices which we haven't discussed on this list
> as part of the January InstallFest. (Add-on stuff like office suites,
> internet tools, window managers, etc.)
>
> Given that we are leaning toward the derivative distros like Ubuntu
> which include nearly all the stuff most users would want, do we need
> such a menu?
>
> Perhaps we could hold it in reserve as an "Advanced Menu". That way,
> we could install a derivative distro and make sure the options they
> want are installed after the distro is installed.
>
> I was thinking we should, instead, have a menu that mentions the three
> or so distro's we're "pushing". In addition, in case a user doesn't
> know which distro they want, I was thinking of adding a brief
> questionnaire to the same page that might help us narrow down which
> distro might work well for them.
>
> We're running short on time, here, so I'll take _any_ comments you have. :-)

Good point. The menu I have was from when we were doing big install
fests. Since the install fest format changed, it only makes sense that
the menu change with it.

Bart