Re: udev vs /dev

Author: Austin Godber
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: udev vs /dev
der.hans wrote:
> When I'm copying the fs over what should I copy into /dev? Should I copy
> /dev? That isn't working correctly. Should I copy /.dev? Do I need to copy
> something to /.dev on the new drive?

I can't specifically answer your questions at this point but I have the
impression that the contents of /dev are now generated automatically on
boot (or by running /etc/init.d/udev restart). Check out the docs in
/usr/share/doc/udev ... theres a lot to read.

I had the problem that my cdrom (/dev/hdc) didn't show up ... there was
no /dev/hdc ... it turns out that I needed to install the ide-cd module
by hand (or at least arrange for its install).

So once I did 'modprobe ide-cd' and then a '/etc/init.d/udev restart' (I
don't know that the restart was actually necessary). I ended up with a
brand new shiny /dev/hdc and was able to use my device again.

My officemate took a different tack ... he just did 'apt-get remove
udev' and a reboot and got his device back. Check out the
README.Debian.gz ... it has some pointers.

I figure I will keep udev since its the way its going to be in the
future I guess.

Austin