Re: suggest plug-chat list (was Re: OT as long as we are dig…

Author: Jeremy C. Reed
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: suggest plug-chat list (was Re: OT as long as we are digressing tonight)
On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Alan Dayley wrote:

> Jeremy C. Reed said:
> > Maybe PLUG should host a chat list at
> > .
> >
> > All off-topic discussions can be moved there.
> >
> > And regular plug-discuss can be used for mostly Linux-related
> > discussions.
> >
> > Does PLUG have any type of board or committee? Who makes these
> > decisions?
>
> PLUG has a Steering Committee. We do what the group wants by some sort of
> conscensus.
>
> PLUG has several email lists now:
> discuss
> devel
> security
> announce
> webdev
> npo
> (See
> http://plug.phoenix.az.us/modules.php?op=modload&name=FAQ&file=index&myfaq=yes&id_cat=1&categories=General+Plug+Questions&parent_id=0#4)
>
> I subscribe to them all. The only two with any traffic are discuss and
> devel. devel is very low. We tried to make all announcements only in
> announce for a while but got complaints that people missed the
> announcements because they were not made in discuss.
>
> It's a chicken-and-egg situation. Everybody is used to everything being
> on discuss so no one uses the others. No one uses the others because it
> is all on discuss. The only to enforce each list is to moderate. Who has
> time to do that?
>
> Having a separate chat or offtopic list would be fairly easy to setup. My
> prediction, based on past results, would be that it would fall into disuse
> in favor of "OT" posts in discuss. (Disclaimer: Past results do not
> necessarily guarentee future results. Consult a professional before
> accepting my predictions.)

FreeBSD and NetBSD communities have numerous email lists. Frequently when
someone is off-topic for one list, the replies and "Reply-To:" headers are
adjusted to force it to be moved to the other list. For example, many
threads becoming off-topic end up being moved to the chat@ list.

So instead of moderation: have a clear description of what is acceptable
and anyone can move the thread (by replying to the original poster and the
new address) when replying.

As it is now, this plug-discuss list is losing its value.

Jeremy C. Reed

                 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
                http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/