Re: OT (re my wife's XP has become painfully slow)

Author: JD Austin
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OT (re my wife's XP has become painfully slow)
Josef Lowder wrote:

>While I am almost exclusively Linux, I haven't yet persuaded
>my wife to make the switch to Linux, though she did agree to
>let me put Thunderbird and Firefox on her XP to replace
>Internet Exploder and Lookout Express. But now, her computer
>has become bogged down to a painfully slow pace (it's not my
>fault, really, I didn't sabatoge her machine ;)) Thunderbird,
>in particular, is now terribly slow. She recently put Norton
>Anti-virus on her machine and I am suspicious that it might
>be contributing to the problems because it is always popping
>up something saying that it is scanning for viruses.
>
>Sorry to bother y'all with this question, but I wondered if any
>of you nice folks could offer suggestions to remedy this severe
>slowdown. Might defrag or killing off some temp files help?

It is quite likely that your wife's computer has a virus, spyware,
trojan, or other malicious program(s) installed.
Norton can be very resource intensive, if the machine is low on memory
that alone could slow it down.
The registry can become bloated over time too.

Here are utilities that might help:
spybot search and destroy
adaware
hijack this
cw sweeper
spysweeper
advanced uninstaller pro (run registry cleaner and other tools)

The firewall in SP2 totally sucks.. I use sygate personal firewall instead.
AVG from grisoft.com is good lightweight antivirus software.. and free.

JD

--
JD Austin
Twin Geckos Technology Services LLC