Re: speaking of SysV scripts - starting perl program

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: speaking of SysV scripts - starting perl program
On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 11:00 -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, Craig White wrote:
> > > nohup /root/relaydelay-0.04/relaydelay.pl
> > ----
> > this didn't work ;-(
>
> Why?
>
> What happened?
>
> "this didn't work" doesn't tell us much.

----
sorry, I'm a moron.
displayed on screen...
Starting Relay Delay services: nohup: appending output to `nohup.out'
(part of this was the methodology used to launch the program and echo
it's status - don't have a clue what/where nohup.out is about)
but what it actually did was start the program just fine but never
returned the terminal control to me (i.e. - in bash terms, it never
forked).

The actual section of the SysV start subroutine...
start() {
        KIND="Relay Delay"
        echo -n $"Starting $KIND services: "
        nohup /root/relaydelay-0.04/relaydelay.pl
        echo
        return $RETVAL
}

----
> > neither did
> >
> > /root/relaydelay-0.04/relaydelay.pl & > /var/log/relaydelay.log
>
> The ampersand puts it into the background and then the > is for a
> different shell process. Put the ampersand at the end.
>
> > am trying
> >
> > /root/relaydelay-0.04/relaydelay.pl & 2>&1 > /var/log/relaydelay.log
>
> Same problem, try:
>
> /root/relaydelay-0.04/relaydelay.pl 1>/var/log/relaydelay.log 2>&1 &

----
this was the winner if not just a promising candidate
----

> I'd try nohup too.

----
#info nohup
Name nohup - run a command immune to hangups, with output to a non-tty

wow, sounds to be exactly what I want...

do I just do

nohup /root/relaydelay-0.04/relaydelay.pl 1>/var/log/relaydelay.log \
2>&1 &

but if it outputs to non-tty, why would I want the 1 and 2 outputs to
redirect?

Craig