Re: Compiling and running Cedega

Author: der.hans
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Compiling and running Cedega
Am 23. Jan, 2005 schwätzte D - so:

> Hey guys,
> I'm pretty much a Linux noob, I've only been running
> it for about a week but I've got the basics pretty
> well down I think.
> Here's my quandry: I'm a Counter-Strike player but I
> hate using Windows and I want to avoid ever booting it
> again if I can help it. I found the site for a
> program called Cedega which they say runs most Windows
> games under Linux. Now, you're supposed to pay a

As I understand it, Cadega used to be called WineX and is a commercial
version of WINE.

IŽm not a gamer and avoid win32 anything, and I have no personal
experience with it Cadega or TransGaming. So, take what I say below about
Cadega/WineX/WINE and TransGaming with a grain of salt and don't believe
any of it until you've done your own research :).

WINE is a win32 emulator. In other words, it allows one to run programs,
such as Counter-Strike, that were compiled for the win32 environment.

TransGaming, the makers of Cadega/WineX, works on development of WINE and
sells subscriptions to their version. The way I understand it TransGaming
transfers changes back to the main WINE project, but it doesn't happen
automagically. I've heard good things about their product and how they do
business.

Using WINE/WineX/Cadega you can install the files directly on GNU/Linux
and don't need any m$ OS sitting around. That's the theory anyway. Not
sure how well it plays out.

TransGaming.com
TransGaming.org

> monthly fee in order to use Cedega, unless you
> download a free version that you have to compile
> yourself. I'm not entirely sure what that means even,
> but I got the rpm file for the program and I want to
> learn how I can run it.

Where did you get it? Not trying to be nosy, but you want to make sure you
got it from a reliable source. If you got it from your distro, great. If
you just got it from some random place I would suggest against using it.

'rpm -i' or something to install it. 'man rpm' and 'rpm -h' or 'rpm
--help' should give you more info.

Sorry, but I don't use RPM-based systems much, so would have to go figure
it out. Better that someone who uses and RPM-based system help with that
part :).

ciao,

der.hans

> Can somebody help me and walk me through the steps of
> how to do this? I don't know what you would need to
> know to be able to tell me how to do this, but if you
> tell me then I can give you whatever information about
> the files that you need.
> I don't really even know where to start. Any help is
> appreciated. Thanks in advance,
> rob0t

#  A t-shirt a day keeps the noose (tie) away. - der.hans