Re: Distro suggestions for the InstallFest

Author: der.hans
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Distro suggestions for the InstallFest
Am 23. Jan, 2005 schwätzte Siri Amrit Kaur so:

moin, moin Siri,

thanks for the recommendations. The live CD to install mechanism is a
great tool.

How do the 3 of them stack up with updates after the install?

That's the realy fall down of Knoppix. Updating the system after the
install is problematic at best :(.

ciao,

der.hans

> I know we've bandied about our suggestions for the distros to make
> available for installation at the InstallFest, but I don't recall if
> any decisions were made or not. The decision was made, however, to
> use the InstallFest to simply get something installed quickly and
> well, and not turn the InstallFest into anything more complicated
> than that. If someone comes in and asks for a specific distro, we
> should try to accomodate them if possible and practical. But if they
> have no idea what they want, these three distros are well-made, very
> simple and fast to install:
>
> SimplyMepis. It's Debian-based and can resize an NTFS partition. It's
> a live-cd with one of the fastest, simplest installations of any
> distro. It was designed to be a desktop OS- uses KDE. The fact that
> it's a live-cd is a bonus. Being a live-cd, you can see if it'll work
> with the client's hardware before installing it. It seems to
> recognize certain hardware that some distros have problems with.
> Unlike Knoppix (which is a great live-cd), it doesn't lose it's
> hardware detection/configuration once it's installed on the
> harddrive. Important for newbies, it has simplified menus compared to
> Debian and Knoppix. On the negative side, sound is sometimes
> problematic.
>
> There is a book people can get called "Point-and-Click Linux" that
> uses SimplyMepis. Newbies can basically install it, buy the book and
> have a great user guide to refer to.
>
> PCLinuxOS (PCLOS). Also a live-cd that is made to be installed on the
> harddrive without breaking. Based on Mandrake but with many bugfixes
> and without the bloat. Fast, simple installation like SimplyMepis. It
> has the nice Mandrake Control Center tools for configuring
> everything. Whatever you think of GUI tools, these are one of the
> reasons Mandrake is considered so newbie-friendly. Many people say it
> has the best selection of "best-of-breed" software of any desktop
> Linux. I've used Mandrake and like PCLOS much better!
>
> Ubuntu. Also Debian-based, but uses Gnome instead of KDE. Has a
> live-cd so people can see if it'll detect all their hardware. Nice
> menus and organization from the desktop. I liked it a LOT but don't
> recommend it for people with dialup modems. The "Warty Warthog"
> version has got a known bug with dialup modems. Lighter and faster
> than a distro that uses KDE, but possibly not quite as
> newbie-friendly as PCLOS or Mepis. I'm not sure if it comes with a
> CD-burning app.
>
> Just my $0.02.
> Siri Amrit

#  I've got a photographic memory,
#  but I'm lousy photographer. - der.hans