Re: Stupid SuSE (I hate SysAdmin work)

Author: augie
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Stupid SuSE (I hate SysAdmin work)
On Tuesday 18 January 2005 11:56,
wrote:
> From: Trent Shipley <>
> To: "plug-discuss" <>
> Subject: Stupid SuSE (I hate SysAdmin work)
> Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 00:15:54 -0700
> Some time ago (about RH 7.0) I had intolerable problems with a Red Hat
> release.  I tried Debian and never really got it to work, and I tried SuSE.
>   At the time (SuSE 6.x or 7.x) SuSE worked fine for me.
>
> I have come to regret that choice.  So much comes in RPMs, but for Red Hat
> and Fedora.  On rare occasions things come as *.deb for Debian and its
> derivatives.  It can be a real challenge to find SuSE RPMs, so when I
> REALLY want something, I usually just get the tarball, then chase
> dependencies and tarballs until the @#$% system administration project
> works or I give up.
>
> (Why don't I change?  Maybe I should.  My home directory is mapped to a
> different physical drive than the system software.  Of course, I have a
> spare drive, maybe at the next installfest...?)
>
> Anyway, for some unfathomable reason SuSE saw fit to distribute 9.1 pro
> without the Debian dselect, dpkg, apt tool chain.  I'd like to add Debian
> package functionality to my system, but that leads to a real chicken-egg
> problem.
>
> The Debian web site is a mess (at least in English), the search is turned
> off (and has been pretty much every time I visit the site), and I am not
> certain what tarballs (if any) I want for bootstrapping my my machine into
> *.deb competence.  (I am also not certain there is a point.  However, at
> one point there was some sort of standard for the location of files in
> Linux and I remember reading that both Debian and SuSE were much better at
> following the standard than Red Hat.)

Trent,
You might want to give Mepis a try. I had Suse 9.1 but ran into the same
problems you did and had a HD failure on top of that. When I tried to
re-install, kept getting errors, so I swiched HDs and still kept getting
errors. Then I tried Mepis and haven't looked back. Now I'm trying to learn
Debian, (Mepis is Deb. based) so my learning keeps expanding.
HTH
augie