Re: Pinging another system

Author: Mikey
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Pinging another system
On Friday 14 January 2005 19:18, Jerry Davis wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 January 2005 08:13 pm, Mikey wrote:
>
> 1. know what your ip address of the gateway (router) is.
>
> route add default gw <the ip address of the router>

I don't actually have a gateway. I have two systems connected by a switch.
That must be the problem then? Are linux and netBSD so dissimilar that you
need a gateway so that they can communicate?

Well, after reading a little on making a gateway it appears that I need to
have two ethernet cards and modify my kernel (according to
http://cwrulug.cwru.edu/talks/gateway/kernel_modifications.html).

Please, let me know whether this is so or not. If this is true then give me a
bit to follow the directions at the previously mentioned website and to set
one of these computers up as a router.