Re: sshd and kernels > 2.6.8 - UPDATE

Author: Nathan England
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: sshd and kernels > 2.6.8 - UPDATE

Well, I gave up trying to figure out ssh on 2.6.10. The machines I have to ssh
into I have my ssh keys already there so I can log in, it's only the machines
I have to give a password to that I can't login to.

In messing with the kernel and trying to get it working, somewhere along the
lines I killed my usb mass storage support. Now, I can only mount my camera
and other usb devices if they are attached when I boot up... I have rebuilt
my kernel several times and I am now using -ac8. I can't get this right.

usb-storage: -- transfer complete
usb-storage: Bulk status result = 0
usb-storage: Bulk Status S 0x53425355 T 0x9 R 0 Stat 0x0
usb-storage: scsi cmd done, result=0x0
usb-storage: *** thread sleeping.
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Attached scsi generic sg0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0, type 0
usb-storage: queuecommand called
usb-storage: *** thread awakened.
usb-storage: Bad target number (1:0)
usb-storage: scsi cmd done, result=0x40000

This repeats itself until 'Bad target number (7:0)
Then it stops. If I leave it turned on and plugged in, I can reboot and it
will work, usually. I can however, ssh now... lol
DOn't ask me when that started working... What a trade off huh!
So I've reviewed everything now. This morning I untarred a vanilla 2.6.10
kernel, copied my config file that I saved called inspiron to the directory,
told it to load the inspiron file, then built the kernel. No usb, but ssh
works. Nothing different that before when it didn't work!

I'm beginning to wonder if there aren't any little Gnomes running around here
doing stuff...

Nathan