Re: Dual boot environmet including XP

Author: Mark Jarvis
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Dual boot environmet including XP

Victor Odhner wrote:

> How about "Dynamic Disk"? If I use that option, and
> if XP has my drive #0, will I still be able to take
> over the boot sector with Grub?

I took a brief look at dynamic disk & backed off. I don't remember any
details or know if I was smart, cautious, or just plain chicken.

> How about enabling S.M.A.R.T.? I've heard that it
> slows the system down some but lets you keep a closer
> eye on hard disk problems. Keep disabled? Enable?

I enabled it, but without much thought. On my system, it's set from
CMOS-setup. If it's the same on yours, you can try it both ways & see
which you like.

> OK on the NTFS operation. I'll give XP 40 GB of NTFS
> and use FAT32 for my shared XP/Linux storage area.

My 24.4GB XP program area has 5GB free. (Shrunk by stages from 40+GB.)
Main large packages: Open office, MS Office XP, Photoshop 7. Unless you
have several other biggies, you won't need the full 40GB.

-mj-