Re: How to recover from a system hang that trashed KDE contr…

Author: Fred Wright
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: How to recover from a system hang that trashed KDE control file
At 12:37 AM 1/3/05, you wrote:
>Am 02. Jan, 2005 schwätzte Fred Wright so:
>
> > Suse 9, KDE, User Session
> >
> > My system hung solid (no intervention session possible) running k3b
> > requiring a system reset to get back in (I know, bad thing to do). After
> > restart, the user session was not restartable because .DCOPserver_linux__0
> > gets "permission denied" during X startup/login. You can login Mode 3 but
>
>Look for KDE related directories under /tmp and /var/tmp.
>
>$ ls -l /tmp/kde-lufthanspE7xzr/*
>lrwxrwxrwx 1 lufthans lufthans 40 2004-12-27 23:12
>/tmp/kde-lufthanspE7xzr/ksycoca ->
>/var/tmp/kdecache-lufthansrqSqZt/ksycoca
>
>Login to a terminal console while not logged in via X and remove those
>dirs.
>
><ctrl>-<alt>-<f1> to get to a console from X. <alt>-<f7> to get back to X.
>
>ciao,
>
>der.hans
>
> > you cannot even "ls" the user's Home directory as user without getting the
> > "permission denied" message. Root can issue the "ls" and see the
> > .DCOP....... file by name but cannot "rm" it or copy over it with last
> > week's backup copy. I can see the permissions in the backup copy of the
> > file to see what they should be in the "active" version.
> >
> > Any suggestions of how to change the "active" file permissions or overwrite
> > with the backup copy?
>
>--
>#  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.AZOTO.org/
>#  HERE LIES LESTER MOORE
>#  SHOT 4 TIMES WITH A .44
>#  NO LES
>#  NO MOORE
>#        -- tombstone, in Tombstone, AZ

I can remove/rename the entries in /tmp and /var/tmp but to no avail.

Error setting up interprocess communications for KDE
Could not read network connection list
/home/fredw/.DCOPserver_linux__0
Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running

Using Knoppix, I get permission failures when I attempt "ls -a" or "ls -l"
in my home directory.
I will try to get a copy of the "startx" startup log entries as they seem
to have more detailed information about the failure.

--
Fred Wright
fawright-at-earthlink-dot-net