Re: Motherboard recommendations?

Author: Siri Amrit Kaur
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Motherboard recommendations?
On Wednesday 29 December 2004 11:07 pm, kindly wrote:
> What model and brand power box in your machine? The K7S5A's legendary for
> finickiness. I had one in my parents' system (formerly mine). With Deer
> and @power 300 watt boxes, crash city at the rated speed of the CPU
> (1666MHz). With a Sparkle 300, perfect. The Sparkle probably massed 2x
> the other brands. I paid 55 or so for mine af Fry's back when they sold
> 'em, now you can find them online for like 30

I'll also vouch for Sparkle power supplies. It's amazing how much stability
you can get by using a good quality power supply. Antec True Power is another
fine one, especially if you like a silent system.

go to newegg.com and look for motherboards that will work with the type and
speed of your memory and CPU. Then read the customers' reviews of the
motherboards. There's a wealth of information there! Also, look for little
things, like, if you use an external modem, make sure the MoBo has a serial
port. I bought a nice MoBo once only to find out later when I tried to swap
the PCI modem for an external one, that it didn't have a port for it!

As long as you're going to rebuild your system, check out the "Falcon Rock II"
CPU cooler.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-150-023&depa=0
It's absolutely silent and one of the best coolers there is for your CPU.
Cheap, too.

Have fun!