Re: Bad mother board?

Author: Victor Odhner
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Bad mother board?
wrote:
> Have you kept the same CD-ROM drive, while replacing
> the burner? Is it possible it's gone south? I note
> optical drives are terribly made parts. I ran two
> into the ground in three years.

Executive Summary: Three CD devices have been
involved in these failures, so I'm not inclined
to indict the devices as I did at the start.

Gory details: This failure first existed with a
CD-RW drive which took several months to finish
going downhill.

During that time I installed a CD-ROM drive since
I had become unable to use the CD-RW under Windows
even to read. So then I had two devices on my
secondary IDE port.

After the burner ceased to work as a burner even
under Linux, I removed it, leaving the CD-ROM in
place.

(I hope someone at AZSTRUT disregards the markings
on that original CDRW and gives it a proper test,
since now I expect that it was OK.)

Later I added an 80GB hard disk on the secondary
port, making it the master, leaving the CD-ROM
in place.

After a while Windows started failing on the
CD-ROM drive. I removed it.

I got a second hand CD-RW and put it on the
secondary port as slave.

The new CD-RW has not worked at all -- I haven't
run a control test on another PC, which I will
probably do soon. I've replaced the IDE cable
and have run memory tests for a couple of days
with no failures; and switching from master/slave
jumpers to Cable Select only caused the device
on the cable's slave socket to cease being seen
at all under Linux, and to continue blue-screening
under Windows.

Thanks for any commentary.

Vic