Re: Seeking a low-cost, total-package ISP - Thanks for respo…

Author: Ric Fischer
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Seeking a low-cost, total-package ISP - Thanks for responding
Hi Joe,

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 08:25:46 -0700, Josef Lowder <> wrote:
> Siri Amrit wrote:
> > I have excellent providers for ... domain name
> > registration (SimpleURL.com).

I recommend GoDaddy.com for domain registrations. I like them because:

1. They answer the phone (sales _and_ support).

2. They're less expensive: $12/yr for simpleURL.com and $8.95/yr for
GoDaddy.com.

3. They're a local company right here in Scottsdale.

4. GoDaddy knows about the new ICANN rule that makes it far easier for
someone to transfer the domain right out from under you. (Did you know
ICANN loosened the rules on Nobember 12th, 2004? Quoting ICANN, "In
the event that a Transfer Contact listed in the Whois has not
confirmed their request to transfer with the Registrar of Record and
the Registrar of Record has not explicitly denied the transfer
request, the default action will be that the Registrar of Record must
allow the transfer to proceed." [1] So, as long as the new registrar
is satisfied that the person or company ordering the transfer is
really who they say they are, then your old registrar cannot hold or
stop the transfer while trying to get verification from you. The old
registrar MUST let the transfer go through, no questions asked.)
GoDaddy sent an email about this much more than a month in advance,
letting us know about the rule change and offering, for free, a "lock"
feature that prevents someone from transferring without our knowledge.
I've now locked my 7 or so domains. This means if someone tries to
transfer my domain away to another registrar, I am REQUIRING GoDaddy
to get my permission.

5. For a fee, GoDaddy offers privacy. I was visiting my cousin's house
this past spring. His daughter is in the 8th grade. She had a website,
but it was on a terrible free hosting site. I offered to set her up
with her own site on a real service (mine). As I registered her domain
name, I thought I'd better prevent prying eyes from finding out who
the owner is. After all, it isn't hard to figure out by looking at her
site that she's only a young girl. There are a lot of creeps in the
world and I'd be mortified if something happened to her through my
carelessness. So, I spent the extra $9/year and made her info private.
To see how the privacy measure works, do a whois on shortygrl.com.

6. GoDaddy's interface is really cool. It's a pleasure to manage the
domains I own. When I moved in November 2003, I clicked the 'select
all' checkbox, went into the contacts area, and simultaneously changed
my contact address for all my domains.

7. They're ICANN accredited, which means they've contractually agreed
to follow the rules ICANN has for registrars.

I could go on, but this is probably too much information already. :-)

[1] ICANN Transfer Rule:
http://www.icann.org/transfers/policy-12jul04.htm

--
Ric Fischer